Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Pakistan - the mass movement spreads

On the foot steps of advocates, till the end of dictatorship
By: Farooq Tariq

On 8th March 2007, no one in Pakistan would have thought of mass movement erupting in near future that with a potential to overthrow general Mushraf regime. A day later on 9th March, he suspended the chief justice of Supreme Court of Pakistan. He had the illusion that nothing would happen and business as usual would go on. He had done it in the past successfully.

But it was different this time. Immediately after the suspension, the 80,000 strong advocates’ community started agitation against the decision.

The peak of this agitation was on 14th May 2007. For the first time since General Musharaf took over the power in October 1999, whole Pakistan shut down. It was the first political strike in seven years. It was also the first political action that was not initiated by the religious fundamentalist forces.

On 14 May, Pakistan was united against military dictatorship and gangsters of MQM, (United National Movement) a linguistic party sharing power along with General Musharaf. From Karachi to Peshawar , all the shops were closed and there was a very thin traffic on the streets. In Lahore, the largest ever demonstration since 9th March took place from Lahore High Court to Governor House on the main Mall Road. Over 15000 participated.

The strike was a solid one and even traders associated with the military regime went on strike. A great anger was expressed against the killing of over 40 political activists who went to the reception of chief justice Iftikhar Mohammed Choudry on 12 May in Karachi . Over 200 were injured by the direct firing of the thugs of MQM who had announced that they will not tolerate the reception in Karachi .

“ Karachi is ours and we would not like the political parties to politicize the issue of chief justice” was declared by Farooq Sattar, the parliamentary head of MQM a day earlier. Karachi is in the control of this neo fascist organization that based itself on the immigrants of 1947 who speaks Urdu language. They control the local bodies and almost all the provincial and national seats from the largest city of Pakistan .

The 12 May saw some of the worst incidents of direct killings of innocent citizens and political activists from different opposition parties in Karachi . All the roads linkined to Shahrai Faisal, the main road to airport was blocked by massive containers and trucks. The purpose was to stop people coming to the main road for welcome.

Although there was hundreds of Labour Party Pakistan activists present in different routs to airport, fortunately, none of them was injured or killed. They were bringing the injured one to hospitals. Several buses load of LPP activists were snatched by the gangsters of MQM and they dragged the activists inside with their guns on their heads.

“I am at Awami Markaz hiding behind a pillar of the bridge, firing is going on from different sides, next to me are lying five person full of blood, they have been hit by bullets, there is no ambulance to take them to hospital, I am crying all the time, I can not help the injured one, and I may be hit as well” Azra Perveen, a Labour Party Pakistan activist told me on telephone on 12th May at 2pm. We tried to send the media and some ambulances, but no one was ready to go that place. It was only after two hours that the injured were rushed to hospital.

Sadly, three of them died later. Azra is in a state of shock for the last three days. She has seen the blood every where.

A private TV channel Aaj tried to show live the firing by the gangsters. So the semi fascist groups came there and fired at the TV channel building for over six hours.

The local police and rangers had given a free hand to “deal” with the opposition. The chief justice was blocked at the Karachi airport alongside with 25 advocates. They were held for nine hours at the airport. The state authorities wanted him to go by helicopter to Sind High Court building to address the Sind High Court Bar Association. This was to avoid the reception of the people outside on the main roads. He refused to go by this way.

While they stopped the chief justice at the airport, the private army of the MQM opened fire on all those who came in processions to receive and welcome the chief justice. Thus a firing drama lasted for over 14 hours, resulting deaths of over 40 till mid night.

After the incidents of 12th May, the MQM is neither united nor national. They are many resigning from MQM in Punjab and Karachi is not united anymore for MQM after nearly two decades.

The same night on 12th May, the conservative Muslim League Q had planned a “mass” rally in Islamabad in support of the sacking of chief justice. Muslim League is in power with General Musharaf. This was a rally planned weeks earlier to counter the growing sympathies for the chief justice and a growing demand of an end of the military regime.

All the state employees were asked to attend the rally. All the sanitary workers were forced to attend. The Muslim League had promised to give Rupees two to five hundred ($3.5 to $8.5) for every one who attends this “historic” rally with free mineral water and food. They are regular complaints printed for the last two days in the national media about ignoring the promises of such kind. Despite all the efforts, not more than 20,000 were in the rally. It was not a rally but a festival chance for many to see Islamabad .

Addressing this rally general Musharaf praised the MQM by saying that people of Karachi has come out today. Yes, they came out to be hit by bullets of the supporters of General Musharraf.

It all went against the regime. Their rally in Islamabad was a failure. Their strategy to stop the reception of chief justice resulted in bloodshed. They lost the support among the middle class, the traditional support for the military regime and MQM. The representatives of over 480 markets of Lahore announced and acted upon the call for a shutter down strike on 12th May. It was mainly announced by the former supporters of the Musharaff regime.

The movement of the advocates had started by the bar associations across Pakistan after 9th March 2007. The advocates historically have been in the forefront of every democratic struggle in Pakistan . They were the main force behind the movement against General Auyb Khan dictatorship in the sixties; they were also responsible for keeping the movement alive during General Zia dictatorship in the eighties.
Some of them have been cooperating with the military regime of general Musharaff. Some of them had illusions of the nature of the regime. They thought it might be a progressive military regime. But all that is gone with the wind.

The movement has developed from no where to every where. It is every where. People are talking about it. They are very angry about the bloodshed. They have all seen it on the TV by the live coverage of competing private tv channels. Mostly they have mobile phones that have helped to get the immediate information.

There has been numerous hunger strike camps, protest camps, small and big demonstrations mainly by the advocates during the first sixty days of the movement. The movement was built up slow but steadily. The consistency in the protests by the advocates convinced many ordinary Pakistanis to give attention to the movement.
The movement to end the military regime in Pakistan is in its second phase of repression. The first phase of repression was to suppress the advocates in the first week of the movement just after 9th March. Many advocates were beaten up by police and many were arrested. That did not work.

Then regime strategy was to exhaust the movement by opening up. They allowed the demonstrations to take place freely. That brought more people in the movement including the activists of political parties mainly Muslim league (Nawaz) Peoples Party, parties associated with Awami jamhoori Tehreek, the left alliance including Labour Party Pakistan, Awami National Party, National Party, Baluchistan National Party, MMA, the religious alliance and so on.

The second phase of repression has started from 4th May. This time it was mainly against the political activists. I was also detained for three days by Lahore police from 4th May to 7th May. This was to prevent the political activists arranging the reception of chief justice while he was due in Lahore on 5th May to address the Lahore High Court Bar Association. He reached Lahore from Islamabad in 25 hours instead of normal five hours. This was due to the massive turn out on the main GT road to welcome the chief justice.

Labour Party Pakistan saw the potential of the movement just after 9th March. It became part of the movement from the very beginning. Its poster “on the footsteps of the advocates till the end of dictatorship” was most hit poster among the advocates. It has printed leaflets in thousands to distribute among the communities appealing them to join the movement. It has organized public meetings and rallies to bring people part of the movement.

Who is this chief justice of Supreme Court of Pakistan who has initiated the movement? The chief justice Iftikhar Choudry was no exception than the other judges who has helped this regime to sustain. But in his two years of office, he took many sue motto notices of ordinary Pakistanis who were subject to human rights violations. He particularly helped the women victims of rape and conservative reactionary customary practices that make women half of man.

He also took notices of the irregularities of the privatization process of Pakistan Steel Mills in Karachi . He in fact stopped the privatization of this massive industrial unit of Pakistan . On the other hand, he has also given decisions against the trade union rights and so on and he has banned some strikes of the public sector.

So he was not a worthy hero of ordinary people of Pakistan , but some one who helps some times. He earned respect when he refused to resign on 9th March, when he was called at the Army House by general Musharaf in the presence of five military generals. The military generals’ immediately removed him from the post and put him under house arrest. This resulted in an absolute anger among the advocates who termed this act as an attack on the judiciary.

The movement is gaining momentum among the masses day by day. This is because of the implementation of neo liberal agenda at a faster speed. The privatization, the deregulation, the so-called free market policies meant an upsurge of the prices of every day use at a level never seen before. People were fed up of the regime but had no trust on the main political parties. So they were angry but not part of the movement.

The religious fundamentalists MMA who had the street power used this to gain more and more concessions from the regime including power in North West Frontier Province (NWFP) and sharing power in another province Balushistan. But they had come out to save the regime when ever it was in trouble.

Now the religious fundamentalist are trailing behind the advocate’s movement, in the hope to hijack the movement. They have lent their support to the advocate but that are not trust worthy. They can any time go along the military regime.

So is the Pakistan People Party. Benazir Bhutto admitted last month that it is in contact with the military regime and they are ready to share power with General Musharaf as president. This sparked a great anger among the advocates who are mainly led by supporters of PPP. But the deal of the PPP is washed away in the heat of the movement. Benazir does not say any more that she is willing to share power with General Musharaf.

The movement of the advocates is led by mainly young generation. It is their first experience and they are up to the mark. They do not act upon the advices of the seniors to go slow. That is the strength of the movement.

How and when Mushraf will step down, who will take over, will it be another general to hold general elections or a transitional government of some alliances, these are some of the question discussed in the movement. One thing is absolute sure that Musharaf is weaker to an extent never seen before. He can not last long as he had planned. Many have started counting the days. He is general on his last legs.

For further background see Lal Khan's article

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Reporters Without Borders have voiced serious concern over threats issued to Pakistani reporters covering the causes and consequences of the 12 May tragedy in Karachi.


Threatening media personnel is not an aberration for MQM. http://tinyurl.com/343qeg

It is a persistence posture of intimidation evident for the past five years that MQM
is a coalition partner in Sind province and at the centre.

One example is Ban on The STAR. Published by the DAWN Group of Newspapers, the STAR, prior to suspending publication, in 2006, was Karachi’s leading evening

In February 2005, the MQM took exception to a story in the paper that raised questions about the death in custody of a suspect. Alleging defamation, the MQM instituted criminal proceedings against the STAR, despite the fact that lawyers acting on behalf of the STAR, offered as per the policy of the DAWN Group to publish their version of the said impugned article. The Court proceedings are still subjudice.

The efforts to intimidate the STAR peaked when the newspaper raises issues regarding the death in police custody of a suspect. The report is made the basis of criminal proceedings against the newspaper under the Defamation Ordinance 2002, and the matter is still subjudice.

How journalists are in effect paralyzed from performing their tasks is clear from the fact that
under the Defamation Ordinance, the presence of all cited persons is required at every court hearing. They must also seek the court’s permission every time they leave the city or the country; the reporter involved is restrained from
travelling on assignment; this constitutes harassment even before the verdict of whether defamation actually took place or not has been given.

See a summary of similar heavy-handed actions meted out by MQM to influence media by coercion: